Prior to being in private practice, I worked as a school social worker at several local schools, both public and private, including:
- Hyde Park Day School, Grades 2-8, Northfield, IL
- Edison School, Skokie/Morton Grove District 69, Grades 3-5, Skokie IL
- New Trier High School, Freshman Campus, Northfield, IL
At these schools I worked with students individually and in groups on a variety of issues including school refusal, anxiety, depression, social skills, friendships, anger management, OCD, grief and loss, and ADHD. We worked on developing coping skills and self-advocacy skills, and learned how to identify and regulate emotions.
In general education and special education classrooms, I taught social/emotional curriculum on skills that children need in every day life. I also conducted student groups on social skills, coping skills, friendships, healthy competition, grief/loss and divorce.
A significant part of my work was to support students in Special Education, and their families, in navigating Response to Intervention (RTI), Individual Education Plans (IEP), and Section 504 plans. I worked regularly with parents on student and family issues in order to support the success of their children, at school and outside of school too.
In addition to schools, I worked at several community agencies as a staff therapist including:
- Family Service Center, Wilmette, IL
- Insight Behavioral Health, Skokie, IL
- Trilogy Behavioral Health, Chicago, IL
At these community based agencies, I provided therapy for children, adolescents, adults and families, on issues including relationships, communication, depression, anxiety, self-esteem, grief/loss, divorce and family stress. I used a variety of therapy modalities to work with clients to uncover their strengths, improve their relationships, and identify their support systems in order to reach their goals.
At Insight, I worked with children, adolescents and adults on issues related to body image and healthy eating, with underlying issues including anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, relationship issues, and family stress. I conducted client groups and family groups and coordinated care with nutritionists, physicians and psychiatrists.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, (LCSW), licensed in the state of Illinois.
UIC/Jane Addams School of Social Work, Chicago, IL.
MSW with Concentration in School Social Work. Type 73 Certification
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Recently completed an intensive year-long course in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy offered by the Cleveland Center for Cognitive Therapy.
PARENT EDUCATION PRESENTATIONS
- Meeting Your Children Where They Are: Balancing Parent Expectations with their Childrens’ Strengths.
- Navigating the Social Environment: Social Skills Strategies for Children and Adults
- Understanding the Resources Available at School to Support Student Success
- Life Transitions: Helping Individuals and Families Handle Change
- Executive Functioning: How to help your student get organized
- ADHD: What is it and how can you recognize it?
- Communicating with your Tween: Why is it so difficult?
- Communication: How much information to share with children about family finances, illness, jobs and other life events.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION
- National Association of Social Workers
- Illinois Association of School Social Workers
- Staff Therapist, Camp Kesem, Augustana College and Northwestern University Chapters